National Groundwater Action Plan projects
Under the National Groundwater Action Plan, which was funded under the Raising National Water Standards Program, the National Water Commission invested in a suite of projects to improve groundwater knowledge and progress the groundwater reforms agreed to under the National Water Initiative.
Project funding themes
Projects were funded under the following themes:
- Harmonisation of groundwater definitions and standards, and improved governance and management practices
- Northern Australia Groundwater Stocktake
- National assessment of sites suitable for managed aquifer recharge and recovery
- Vulnerability of groundwater dependent ecosystems
- Investigation of groundwater-surface water inter-connectivity
- Strategic aquifer characterisation to quantify sustainable yields
- National review of groundwater potential for deep fresh, saline and brackish waters
- Managing risks to groundwater quality
- National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
- Knowledge and capacity building.